In message <199410012326.SAA07930@boombox.micro.umn.edu> "L. Phillips" writes:
> No one can
> afford to subscribe to many lists- there is just too much mail for anyone
> to reasonably handle.  Consequently, it is necessary to use broad
> spectrum discussion groups such as this for more than one purpose.

Actually, I'd say no one list can satisfy everyone's desire.  If you
try to make LM_NET satisfy every need, we'll end up with nothing more
than a list overwhelmed with purposeless mail.  I think THAT is what
is unreasonable.

There are thousands of mailing lists.  If you have LIBRARY MEDIA interests,
this is the list for you.  If you have other specific interests, even
if they are related to education or children, you can easily find another
list to meet your needs.

There are lists for those who seek penpals.  If you are seeking penpals,
you ought to post your request on one of those lists.  First, you'll
be much more likely to obtain the penpals you desire.  Second,
you won't annoy those who are on this list to discuss LIBRARY
MEDIA interests.

I always like analogies.  Let's say you want to buy a new car.  It
just so happens there's a medical convention across the street right now.
Would you go to the medical convention and ask people to help you buy a new
car?  Or would you wait until next month and travel to the car show
that's going to be in the next county?

LM_NET is a convention of people who have gathered to discuss library
media interests.  Since we're a convenient large group of folks who
also purchase cars, you might be think you can post a query here asking
what sort of car you should buy.  YOU'D BE WRONG.  Wait for the car show,
and take the time to find the penpal mailing list.

Stephen E. Collins       http://www.micro.umn.edu/staff/sec
University of Minnesota           sec@boombox.micro.umn.edu
Distributed Computing Services (612) 625-1300 Fax: 625-6817

            Remember to give back to the net.

LM_NET Archive Home