This spring one of our middle schools purchased an 8 station license
for the DOS version of Grolier's Encyclopedia from Online Computers.
The disk was backordered and did not arrive until after school was
out.  It was signed for and put in the media center by a secretary,
but disappeared during the summer.  Several community summer programs
were held in the school and children frequently had access to the area
where the CD was placed.  We guess that someone thought it was
something they could play on their CD player at home.

We have contacted Online to try to arranged for a replacement CD.  At
first they said we would have to pay the entire licensing fee again -
over $1000.  This, of course, is impossible.  After taking with a
supervisor and explaininge situation in detail, she agreed to have us
fax the detailed story to Online so that she could discuss the matter
with her superiors.

We have now been waiting for a month for a reply.  Several messages
have been left with voice mail at Online inquiring about the problem,
but we do not yet know what will happen.

Have any of you had an expensive CD -ROM disk stolen? If so, what did
you have to pay to replace it?  WE would like to have any similar
stories to rela to Online to try to help our position in pricece
negotiations with the

I do not mean for this message to reflect unfavorably on Online, but
would like to get this matter resolved, as our students are suffering.
I would appreciate any suggestions you can give us.
--
Paula Galland - Glynn Co. Schools - St. Simons Isl., GA
                     paula@freenet.fsu.edu