I sent this Sunday and it never made it... so here it is again.

>I'm working on a grant due on Friday.  I'm asking for a
>scanner, among other things, and know nothing about them.  I
>know that I want a full page color scanner that will work with
>the MAC.  Any suggestions on brands?  Price is a definite
>consideration!  Also, what do we need in the way of cabling and
>peripherals?

     The cables normally are included in the base price for most scanners. The
true Apple scanners from the Apple direct mail order places are an
exception... make sure and request the cables. Expect to pay about $685 for
their lowline color scanner with cables.

     I would recommend getting a decent scanner with the best bundled software
package. Microtek makes a ScanMaker IISP that is a pretty good color flatbed
scanner. It is about $800 mail order and includes Adobe Photoshop 2.5
(an upgrade to the latest version 3.0 is about $144. Adobe 3.0 is a software
package selling separately for over $500).

     Other Microtek color scanners and current prices:

     ScanMaker IIXE     $898
     Scanmaker III     $2658   (single pass)

     UMAX color scanners: (first two have Photoshop 2.5)

     UMAX UC840         $948     (24-bit color at 800x400 dpi)
     UMAX UC1260       $1279     (true color at 1200x600 dpi)
     UMAX UC630         $599     (24-bit color at 600x300 dpi,
                                  with Photoshop LE)

     INFO PRODUCTS

     Image Reader Color Scanner for Mac     $649   (24-bit 600 dpi)
                                       (includes Calera software,
                                       no Photoshop though)

     You might order catalogs from The Mac Zone (1-800-248-0800) and
MacWarehouse (800-255-6227) to see what's the latest and greatest in color
scanners.

     Good Luck and I hope you win your grant!

Russell Smith  rssmith@tenet.edu       Home Phone 915-235-1228
Technology Consultant                  Home Fax   915-235-0633
Region XIV Education Service Center    Work Phone 915-675-8600
Abilene, Texas 79601                   Work Fax   915-675-8659

LM_NET Archive Home