    These are the results of my posting asking for information on home to
    school dialers.  I've passed the information along so don't know any
    more than what you read here.  Your quick responses really impressed
    my director.

    Thanks to all of you,

    Sheryl Steinke
    Eugene, (OR) 4J Schools

    steinke@4j.lane.edu

                             *******************

    Our school  just purchased Parent-tel
    from Data Networks Inc.
           195 Foxleigh Building
            2330 West Joppa Rd
                Lutherville, MD  21093

             1-800-283-6387

    We also reviewed a system that was not as expensive but equally as
    impressive
    Thomas Harris
    250 Whitmoor Terrace
    Silver Spring MD  20901

                            *********************
    In our district, several schools have Phone Master which is
    well-liked and
    seems to have lots of flexibility and capabilities.  We were given
    Homework
    Hotline which at this point, I would rate as mediocre.  It works, but
    there
    are limitations and problems.

    Joe Kmoch                                   Washington High School
    kmoch@whscdp.whs.edu                        2525 N. Sherman Blvd
    (414) 449-2765 (office)                     Milwaukee, WI  53210
    (414) 444-9250 (fax)                        (414) 444-9760 (gen
    school phone)

                           ***********************

    I recently found this ad in the latest copy of T.H.E. Journal.  It
    might be
    worth requesting more information.

    SW DEVELOPS VOICE, FAX AND PHONE APPS.
                TeleCommand, an application development program for DOS
    PC's
    creates custom voice-processing or fax applications for use with the
    new
    low-cost voice/modem cards.
                Applications include voice mail with fax receive,
    fax-on-demand,
    interactive voice response and more.  Some educational uses are
    telephone
    registration; education hotlines; and faxing class schedules, catalog
    or
    parent information.
                Included sample applications can be used as-is or
    modified.  The
    program reads and writes dBase-format files and will run with other
    programs automatically.
                A voice/fax/modem add-in card is included in the
    Tele-Command
    package.  ComArt International
                  Lake Forest, CA
                  phone 714-859-2000

    From a school viewpoint, I found the "education hotlines" idea
    interesting.

    Enjoy the day,
    Leah Goolsby
    goolsbl@mail.firn.edu

                             *******************

    One of the computer magazines had an article on this last spring.  I
    read it during the summer, and can't find the right one at the
    moment.  I think it was Technology Today, but might have been T.H.E.
    Journal.  It described a number of them.  The info might hae been
    supplied by the manufacturers, because it did not evaluate or
    compare, just described the features of each one.  You might be
    able to find the citation in Readers Guide.  KMP_Tope@mec.ohio.gov
    Barbara Tope, Madison Plains Schools, London, Ohio

                              *****************

    We just got "The Homework Hotline" from Inter-Tel.  You can call Roy
    Rachovltsky at (713) 867-7600 for info.  We have had it about 1 1/2
    weeks.  We are still feeling our way.  I don't believe it has the
    capability of family calling.  When the parent calls, there is a menu
    so they do not have to hang up to call different teachers, just keep
    putting in codes.  Yesterday was the first day we had it open for
    parent/students to call in.  I believe there were over 2000
    inquiries, not calls but different codes used.  I even had 15 and I
    did not even put out a message.  I may try some book talk messages,
    though.  This had the capability of calling out and you can select
    different groups of students to call or it can call everyone.  We
    have used that about 3 or 4 times last week to remind parents to come
    to PTA, for the Gifted students to turn in a permission slip, etc.
    Seems to work quite well that way.

    Hope this helps.

    Maggie McGraw                          William Slider Middle School
    mmcgraw@tenet.edu                      11700 School Lane
                                           El Paso, TX 79936
                                               (915) 857-4450

LM_NET Archive Home