Melinda,
As a trained Hospice bereavement volunteer, I want to applaud your
thoughtfulness in providing support for your grieving friend.  There
are people, organizations, and materials which serve as "lifelines"
to those who have suffered loss.  Perhaps you might make some preliminary
contacts and provide your friend with some resources she might access
when she is ready.  And you can provide her with the wonderful gift of
friendship--to really listen, to allow her to express feelings (and
respect her silences,) to "be there" for her at her times of greatest
despair (today and a year from now.)  I know....I was a widow at 36.

Best of luck to you both,

Mary Kendall
Calvert High Media Center,
Prince Frederick, MD