This topic hit a chordant note in my CPU.  Some CDROM vendors are playing
games with you if they refuse to replace the CD, especially one that is
expensive or is a subscription.

The actual cost of reproduction of a CD is less than a Loonie (Cdn dollar)
to the vendor, so replacement is no big deal, even though you  might have
put out big $s to buy it.  We subscribe to MAS select, which costs us about
$3000 Cdn, and when the disk arrives, EBSCO values it for the postal service
as $5.00.  The point is, the cost and value of a disc is in the information
it contains, not the pressing of the plastic.

We had problems with MAS last year and EBSCO's help line was excellent,
and they couriered replacement disks without question, and not even at
our expense.  They value our patronage, and so they should.

We currently operate about 8 other CDROM products (Groliers, Encarta etc.)
and have not had occassion to ask them for help or replacement YET, but
should we get the run-around, I can be a very assertive and crabby
customer.

Hopefully the sleazy shell game SOME vendors play will end when we
become more mature consumers of this technology.

Bill
BHanson@cbe.ab.ca

LM_NET Archive Home