Bill,
I really don't understand why any company would even think about not
replacing this CD.  What did it cost them to produce? Not in terms of
research and programming time which I have already paid for but in actual
cost of the material, my guess is a few dollars.  The library
in the case of site license is paying for the privelege of using the
software on multiple stations.  If the network version was not written any
differently, ie the network software instructions were on the CD as they
often are I'd not feel wrong to use a stand alone version to get the job
done. I might not expect a company to replace a stolen VCR, but mostly
that would be because the cost of the VCR is mostly in the materials used
and even though I might not expect it I would like a company to be
understanding about lost equipment and maybe discount the replacement
cost particularly if the piece were new.
I for one remember to deal again with companies that are understanding of
what goes on in schools.  Many, many commercial software companies
replace software at basically handling costs. Seems to me this should be
an industry standard.
 On Sun, 2 Oct 1994, William
Russell Smith wrote:

>   >It was signed for and put in the media center by a secretary,
> >but disappeared during the summer.
>
> Paula:
>
>      This a terrible situation you have encountered and something all of the
> media people on LM_Net can learn from. Basically the company is under no
> obligation to replace the disk under than the desire to create good public
> relations.
>
>      The situation as they see it is your school accepted delivery of a
> $1,000 piece of equipment (the CD-ROM disk) and at that point you were
> responsible for the safekeeping of the disk. You wouldn't expect a VCR
> company or a computer manufacturer to replace a stolen object on your campus.
> It's just that the disk is so small that theft is much easier and seems so
> unfair in relation to its huge monetary value.
>
>     Does your school have an insurance policy that
covers theft? I don't know
> what kind of insurance you might have or what kind of deductible, but that
> might be worth investigating.
>
>     You might also try some Colombo investigations to see if you can track dow
> the disk. Somebody (a kid) might respond to a reward offer and give you
> information leading to the disk. Somebody has it, that's for sure and it has
> probably made its way to a home computer with a CD-ROM. Putting out a public
> appeal for information about the disk might get some tips. It's worth the
> effort at this stage of the sorry affair.
>
>     I'm sure you are going to tighten up mail procedures from now on also.
> Valuable packages need to go in the vault, not left out for an opportunistic
> thief. A locking CD-ROM drive is also not a bad idea.
>

>    Good luck and keep us informed on how this turns out.
>

> Russell Smith  rssmith@tenet.edu       Home Phone 915-235-1228
> Technology Consultant                  Home Fax   915-235-0633
> Region XIV Education Service Center    Work Phone 915-675-8600
> Abilene, Texas 79601                   Work Fax   915-675-8659

LM_NET Archive Home