I recently observed a CD-ROM tower called Discport from Micro Test,
602-952-6400, 4747 N 22nd St, Phoenix, AZ 85016-4708.  It is being
used by the Dona Ana County Court House by judges and lawyers.  It
costs about $560.00 and can support up to 7 SCSI devices(CD-ROM
drives).  If you
need to have more than 7 drives you simply add another Discport.  It
works very well with text based products such as full text magazine or
newspaper databases.  It will work with multimedia products.  We saw
Encarta demonstrated.  Movement was a little jerky but sound and
graphics were good.  There are numerous CD-Drives that are compatible
and I found a source, Vektron 214-606-0280 that sells Toshiba 3401
drives for $255.00 plus $55.00 for the host adapter card, NEC CDR 500
which is triple speed is $429.00 plus $55.00 for the card.  The
external SCSI Enclosure to house the CD drives costs $240.00 from
Wetex, 800-759-3839.  I am going to test Discport within the next
month, I hope, and will post my findings.

Jerry Kilmer schlgisd@technet.nm.org
District Library Coordinator
Gadsden ISD-CID
P.O. Drawer 70