Thought-provoking article in this month's Education Digest on listserv
behavior/interactions.    Entitled "The Passive-Aggressive Paradox of
On-Line Discourse", it is fascinating reading.  The concept of
"register", which the author uses to illustatrate, for example, that in  writing
  e-mail
messages, we are using writing to emulate speech; which places the
conversation in the wrong register, is worth thinking about in terms of
how we should be instructing students to communicate in the next century.
While you are holding that issue (October, 1994), check out another
article "Is this Book Safe?" on how the constant challenges to
intellectual freedom causes books and instructional resources to be
chosen out of fear of reprisal.  The article ends with a question posed to
the author "Don't you realize how dangerous reading can be?

Gail Dickinson
Union-Endicott Central School District
Endicott, NY 13760

                       "a wild patience has taken me this far"