Your point is well taken.  It is like teaching any other skill out of
context.  Perhaps they had just learned to "keyboard" - like I learned to
"type."  And then had to learn how - both on the typewriter and, later,
the computer, to format for a particular application.  HOWEVER, I have
seen my high school students who came along before keyboarding was being
taught be really hampered in completing research by not being able to
keyboard.  They spend a lot of time hunting around for the proper key and
some are embarrassed at having others see that they can't "type."
Sometimes I can hardly keep my hands off the keyboard.  I always felt
that my high school typing class was invaluable in college, and it led me
right into keyboarding.  So I don't know if you need an elaborate program
for keyboarding, but it sure is a skill you must acquire.

LM_NET Archive Home