There has been a thin thread of discussion on this list about black
cowboys.  This is an item, likely most of you stateside might not
be know about, so I thought I would toss it in.

The Province of Alberta (Canada) had a pioneer who was a black cowboy
(rancher), John Ware.  He was an escaped slave from your country who
found himself in southern Alberta and homesteaded here, contributing
to the peacefull settling of our west.

One of Calgary's Junior High Schools is named after him and there is
some literature, along with a great country and western ballad about
his life, by a songwriter/singer who's name I cannot recall at the
moment.

Anyways, to the original subscriber who posted the query, I could be
coerced into doing a bit of digging, time is not on my side these days,
to assist you.  John Ware is somewhat of an historical hero in these
parts.
Bill
BHanson@cbe.ab.ca

LM_NET Archive Home