In my school one of our 6th grademath teachers works with social studies, LA,
reading and science teachers and has the kids plan a cross country trip with a
required # of stops at places of interest. Using a spread sheet and number
cruncher they do time, miles, cost, etc. Much research is done investigating the
itinery. The weather in the various locations is charted, and travel brochures
with persuasive writing is done on computers using Bank Street and the three
panel set-up. This has been a real success for both students and teachers.
Parents are pretty impressed with this interdisciplinary unit!
Mary

LM_NET Archive Home