Group,

Our ESL teacher and a couple of English teachers (who have non-English
speaking Hispanic students) have asked me which English/Spanish
dictionary is the best.  They would like one that includes what we refer
to as "Tex-Mex" or "Spanglish," the "common" language of the border states.
So many of our students speak a combination language that interpreting
is difficult -- it's neither Spanish nor English.

One time before we went to deep Mexico, I asked some of my Spanish
-speaking students how to ask for gasoline.  That particular group
couldn't tell me and finally came up with "gas-o."  I also found that
what little Spanish I remembered from college I could use down
around Mexico City and Vera Cruz, but I wasn't understood along the border.

My teacher colleagues just *know* that I'm going to get help from this
group since I've talked about LM_NET so much.

Thanks for any suggestions.  Send responses to me and I'll post a HIT
after replies stop.

Betty
                                .----.
Betty Hamilton, LRS             |    |                701 Cub Drive
bhamilt@tenet.edu           ____|*    ~~~~~~.         Brownfield TX 79316
Brownfield High School      \               |         (806) 637-4523
                                  \     {
                                    \  }
                                      ~

LM_NET Archive Home