        Our library is considering dropping cutter numbers and using the last
name of the author instead or the first few letters of the author's name.  Any
opinions out there.  I understand most libraries do not use cutter numbers.
Has anyone experienced changing from cutter to author name and interfiling the
two types of call numbers.  I think author numbers are more user-friendly for
6-8 grade middle school, but dread interfiling the two call numbers.  We are
doing retrospective conversion, so would not consider redoing the call numbers.
We would just begin with this year using author names.  Hope to hear from you.
        Priscilla Dolan
        Chief Joseph Middle School Library
        Bozeman, MT    cjdola@hawks.bps.montana.edu

LM_NET Archive Home