I am facing my first real book challenge after twenty-two years as
librarian at Lakeview High School (Battle Creek, MI). A parent has
actually submitted the complaint form requesting that Michael Crichton's
Rising sun be removed from the shelves. The parent objected to the title
when her 9th grade son selected the book for a book report in English
class. The parent cites three categories of offensive material in
Crichton's book: gratuitous profanity, explicit sexual content, and
negative racist theme against Japanese.  Our district's book review
committee has thirty days in which to offer a recommendation to the
school board. I have the appropriate positive reviews (including an
endorsement from Wilson Senior HS Library Catalog). I've been in touch
with ALA Office of Intellectual Freedom and Crichton's publicist for
supportive backing. Can any of you, as colleagues, offer me further
suggestions as to how to handle this challenge. Does your high school
library/media center have Rising sun? I can also be reached via Great
Lakes Freenet at this e-mail address: gigi_lincoln@fc1.glfn.org     or
via LM-NET.  Hope to hear from you!    - Thanks! - Gigi Lincoln

LM_NET Archive Home