Howdy to my Texas colleagues! I would like your help in getting
participants for a project that I am collaborating on with the earth
science classes at my school. We need data on rocks and minerals from
your area to construct a database on Texas rocks and minerals. This
database will be accessible via the Armadillo gopher (for our
out-of-state colleagues who may be reading--gopher.tenet.edu) and will be
sent on disk to participating schools. There is a nice information
problem-solving component included for library research. Any class can
participate. It integrates science process skills, content area
objectives, information problem-solving, and the writing process skills,
as well as database concepts. Please tell your earth science teachers
about this project and have them reply to me at "rocks@tenet.edu" by
November 30 if they are interested in participating. The deadline for
submitting the data is not until March 28, 1995, so there is plenty of
time to plan for it.
  The call for participation with all the details is located in several
places: 1) News and conferences under a) tenet.matchmaker, or b) its own
conference--tenet.projects.tx-rocks-mineral
2) Internet Resources under a) Tenet gopher/14. mini-grants/22. Texas Rocks
and Minerals Database, or b) Tenet Gopher/6. Education gophers/4. School
Districts/ Armadillo, the Texas Studies Gopher/ Search Armadillo by Title
(Jughead), then type in "rocks." #3 is the Texas Rocks and Minerals
Database project.
 Thank you for directing this call for participation to your science
teachers. Please let me know if I can further clarify or give you more
information on this project. We are quite excited about our project and
love to talk about it! Thank you.
* Barbara A. Jansen          Live Oak Elementary     *
* Librarian                  8607 Anderson Mill Road *
* Round Rock I.S.D.          Austin, TX  78729-4706  *
* bjansen@tenet.edu          512/331-0996            *