     On Wed, 26 Oct 1994, Kay Haske wrote:

            My keyboards and computers are getting dirty.
                                    How can I clean them?

     LM_Netters:

     Greetings from a facility which could be said to resemble
     a large, well-lighted gopher space filled with books and
     computers and human beings.  Also with this company is the
     librarian with whom I have shared responsibilities and
     a title for more than a dozen years -

                     *modus vivendi*

     Fact: We try to maintain a clean operation.
     Two things which concern us are dirty books and dirty
     keyboards.

     ...and, I'm _very_ glad you asked about the keyboards:
     The surfaces of the keys of our keyboards are routinely
     cleaned with a q-tip dipped in Goo Goo Gone (available
     at WalMart).  One really nice thing about this cleaner
     is that it can be used during downtime, such as a
     faculty meeting (provided it is held in the library)
     since there is no odor (from the solvent).  With regard
     to involving others with this maintenance duty, we simply
     prefer to do it ourselves but there is potential for this
     cleaner to be as attractive as Tom's whitewash.

     Never telemarketed, this domestically produced organic
     product does contain petroleum distillates, yet it is
     environmentally safe and, in my experience, has never
     eradicated one character image from the face of a
     single key.  And, in the unlikely event that the cap to
     the bottle were accidentlLy lost or misplaced, the
     product is covered by a full satisfaction warranty.

     Excuse me.. I need to see who is standing in front of
     our information fire hose...Whoa!..."We need more
     bookmarks"  "Grab a scorecard"......I do think our
     group just won the electronic information
     taffy-pull-treasure-hunt!"

     Whatta job!...... I do need to go... but first... Here's
     my colleague to say bye....oops, she must be burrowing!

     Thanks for this opportunity for me to unlurk without having
     to assume the dreaded label *lurker*!  And...for the sake of
     ourselves and our profession, let's take a moment to reflect
     and lament the fundamental sociological complexities created
     with tactics employed under the guise of social ambition.
     This may have been best depicted by Dr Seuss's star_bellied
     Sneetches_

LM_NET Archive Home