We use B and the full last name of the biographee for individual
biographies, 920 and the first three letters of the author's last name
for collective biographies in our elementary media centers in Lapeer,
MI.  We shelve individual biographies alphabetically according to that
name in their own section and coll ective biographies immediately after
them.  However, if the school is relying on volunteers, I can tell you
from painful experience that your 920s will end up in nonfiction often
anyway.

On Tue, 30 Aug 1994, NANCY PALMA wrote:

> I have a friend who is the librarian in a small private high school library.
> She has been assisting a local grade school with moving and setting up their
> library and has noticed discrepancies with the way various school libraries
> catalog and shelve their single and collective biographies. She would like to
> know if there is a definitive way to catalog single biographies - 92 or 921?
> What schedule do you use? HOw do you catalog collective biographies - 920?
> Where are biographies, both single and collective supposed to be shelved? Does
> it really matter? She has taken an undergraduate cataloging course but says
> that Dewey does not treat single biographies. Any help would be appreciated. I
> have worked with LC for the past 8 years and do not remember much about Dewey
> cataloging. TIA, Nancy Palma, Venango Campus, Clarion Univ. of PA, Oil City,PA
> palma@vaxa.clarion.edu

LM_NET Archive Home