Hi folks,

I thought some of you might find the following useful/interesting.

The little opinion piece I wrote about why Minnesota students need Internet
access was published in our local paper, the _The Free Press_ (more
commonly referred to as the _Free Mess_).  Which is fine and dandy as far
as it goes, but happily there was a letter to the editor in response to it
- written by one of our district's 8th graders. I thought you might enjoy
reading his views.

Internet would help students, Mankato Free Press, August 31, 1994 p.4
(posted with permission)

   I read Doug Johnson's terrific article in the Aug. 26 _Free Press_ about
how important it is to get Internet access for the students of District 77.
As a student of District 77, I couldn't agree with him more. The Internet
has vast information on it, and I believe it is important to give students
access to it. In the future, everyone will be on the Internet, doing
business, talking to friends, playing chess, etc. Students will be helpless
without knowing how to surf through the oceans of information on it.
   I think that District 77 should get access to Internet, and use it in
every class. Any subject could be fortified with the Internet, from Asian
geography to zoology. The Internet can be used to set up art galleries to
show kindergarteners electronic pictures, talk to people of different
cultures, or even chat in different languages. As time goes on, the
Internet's role in our society and lifestyle will only increase.
   District 77 should show its students not just how great the Internet is
for homework and information, but also for entertainment. On the the
Internet you can play games with someone in China, talk to people across
the world, play the part of Sir Lancelot in a medieval fantasy land, or
just send e-mail to friends. The Internet is more than just a big boring
database, it is a whole world of people to talk to and things to learn.

Jim (a District 77 8th grade student)

Hey, and isn't that really what school should be - "a whole workd of people
to talk to and things to learn"?

Doug

Doug Johnson, District Media Supervisor |  The other day, I dropped a piece
Mankato Public Schools, ISD77           |  of bread and it fell butter side
Box 8713, Mankato MN 56001-8713         |  up.  I was convinced that I'd
507-387-7698                            |  buttered the wrong side of the
palsdaj@vax1.mankato.msus.edu           |  bread.

LM_NET Archive Home