Thanks to all who responded to my request for recommendations for fiction
about
or set in Egypt to read to grades 3-4.  Here is a list of excellent titles.
--Suzanne

From: Susan Lenore Evans <sevans@strauss.udel.edu>

How  about the Egyptian Cinderella?  I am at home and don't know the
author's name, but our students really enjoyed it...esp. when they
realized the universality of the Cinderella story.  Book has great
illustrations which will acquaint the students with dress, makeup, etc.
of the ancient Egyptians.
Susan Evans   (sevans@strauss.udel.edu)
W.B. Simpson Elementary School
Camden DE 19934

The author is Shirley Climo.  This book was recommended many times!
--Suzanne

   * * *

From: Margaret Mary Bedle <mbedle@strauss.udel.edu>

I do believe that Gerald McDermott has a picture book  call Osiris.   And
Tomie DePaola wrote Bill and Pete Go Down the Nile.  I realized this one
may be elementary but the kids may want to identify some of the Egyptian
landmarks which appear in the illustrations.

  * * *

From: Nancy Martin <nmartin@esu6.esu6.k12.ne.us>

This isn't a book, but an activity that our 6th graders do with the Egypt
Game is to use hieroglyphic stamps to write their own names and
messages.  I got the set of stamps from the Book of the Month Club, but
I have also seen them for sale other places.  Have fun!
Nancy Martin
Norris Middle School
Firth, NE 68358
nmartin@esu6.esu6.K12.ne.us

--I have seen this set for sale through The Trumpet Club.  --Suzanne

  * * *

From: the Ammons <ammon@montana.com>

I am a lurker on the LM net - a public librarian. But in response to your
query about recommendations - if you can find this book, it's a winner -
Title - His Majesty, Queen Hatshepsut by Dorothy Sharp Carter
(Lippincott, 1987). Terrific telling of the time with an interesting
theme of gender equality. Good luck

Bette Ammon
Missoula Public Library
Missoula, MT
ammon@montana.com

  * * *

From: "[Cheryl Barry Smith]" <cbarry@tenet.edu>

What about THE RELUCTANT GOD by Pamela Service?  Cheryl Smith, Plano,TX

  * * *

From: "Margaret J. McCormick" <mmccormi@services.dese.state.mo.us>

I wonder if those of you requesting titles of books to match with
curriculum units have used the book A to ZOO from Bowker which has
subject listings for every topic yu can imagine - even "earthworms"...
Of course, the good old Wilson CHILDREN'S CATALOG is another good
reference.  Not to say that there are special and very fine and favorite
titles that we must continue to share with each other - as they
particularly lend themselves to curriculum matches - in this day of
Resource-based Instruction!  Good luck!!
margaret

  * * *

From: Debra Whitbeck <whitbeck@tenet.edu>

        Try Zekmet the Stone Carver for one storytime.
        Don't forget the Egyptian Cinderella
                                        Debbie (whitbeck@tenet.edu)

  * * *

From: "Liz L. Hildreth" <lhildre@eis.calstate.edu>

Winged cat by Deborah Lattimore, Zemet the stone Carver by Stolz, Non
fiction actually pretty good for reading aloud is Into the Mummies Tomb
by N. Reeves      Liz

  * * *

From: Linda Sue York <lsyork@tenet.edu>

There is a READING RAINBOW Mummies Made in Egypt. But it is cataloged as
non-fic. I like to use the video as well.

--
Suzanne Cane
Lincoln School

LM_NET Archive Home