Fellow Netters,

I wrote the note below in response to a query from our colleague, Kirsten
Down, in Old Forge, NY. When I was thru, a friend suggested others may find
it useful.

Finding Friends, & Funds

Finding funding to connect your rural school to the internet, is probably
a job for librarians to undertake. I suggest it will position us well to
continue to lead into the info rich future.

The term <internet> appeared 2092 times in the New York Times in 1993. The
leaders of your community may be more familar with the idea then your
school colleagues.

1.)
Here in Wisconsin, Ameritech, our Baby Bell, has funded 2 800#s to connect
any school or school staff to learning link. It's not great, they built in
some headaches like a 15 min time limit. It's not a solution for tomorrow
or for you to achive alone. But they may respond to pressure, publicity
from your School Lib Assoc.

2.)
I'd set a specifice goal on your request, e.g. 2 hours per school day
connect time. I've found that likely funders like to see limits around
their gifts. A lot of the people you might ask will want numbers from
square one. Example:
185 school days X 2 hrs per day X $3 per hour = $1110. To many funders this
is less than peanuts

3.)
Once you have a number, Rotary, Lions, PTA local betterment foundations may
surprize you with their support. (Volunteer to speak to their monthly
meetings, and give a demo there).

4.)
You may want to research the names of interested people in the NYS
legislature. Let them know what you're up to. Ask them for contacts.

5.)
Use what connect time you currently have to achieve something easily
described to the public. Connect, thru an email penpal project, ex.: a
fourth grade clsrm in Old Forge to one in Mexico, Wisconsin (fill in the
blank).

6.
Think of direct and obvious ways net assets may enhance, expand, support
your current curriculum. Think of the informal and formal leaders on your
faculty. You provide services for them that are unique to the net. Deliver
without fanfare or comment. Wait for them to ask you where, how you got the
daily teachers guide to CNN newsroom for example. You need to have them
talking this up.

7.) Let it be know thru your newsletter that your trying to move this
project ahead.  Ask community people to call you with their ideas.

8.) Clip ideas, articles, anything else that mentions inet, schools, telecom.

8.) Include your super as early and as much as possible.  They get their
professional stature (among other supers) partially by have things their
buddies don't.  Keep them informed, find them assets on the net to help
with their issues, project the attitude thet of course  the whole world is
moving toward connectedness.

Hope this helps.
Cybernetically,

Bob Koechley