Earlier this summer I sent a plea for help on the conversion of our 7
schools to Unison.  I was new on the Internet and did not know how to
collect your responses at the time to compose a hit list.  Thanks to
everyone I have just completed the final one.  All a success.

I would like to pass on some experiences.

1.  Follow the instructions in the conversion guide to the letter.

2.  Prepare 2 backup disks and print out all transactions and setups
BEFORE running the diagonstics.  I had on diagnostics go bad and was
unable to complete it before doing the conversion.  We tried anyway but
it dumped one weekly and we were 2000 records short.  We then tried the
second and it worked.  This was ONLY because the hard drive of the old
station had so many bad sectors that we had to juggle our data around on
it to get any good disks.  Follett does not recommend using prediagnostic
disks and it was only done as a last ditch effort by us.

3.  Also prepare 2 sets of post-diagnostic backups and use these for the
conversion.  You never know when one set of backups is not any good.

4.  If you have technical help, load all of your backups in a file on the
main file server.  Our conversions took overnight not 3 days.

5.  I have tried the new Unison on our old 286 IBM's and it seems fine
for a search station.

We have been lucky to have been seen as the number one priority for our
district in setting up the new network in each school.  This has not come
without a lot of PR over the years.  Constant communication about how
good you are and how much you can and do accomplish for your staff to
your board and administration is invaluable.

Now we are ready for our districts next step in 2 years which is the wide
area network.

Good Luck and again Thanks for all of your advice.

Michele Edwards <uwnet5@u.washington.edu>
Monroe High School Library
1408 West Main St.
Monroe, WA 98272