     Lurkers of the world unite!!!  There is nothing wrong with you!

     I have always been of the opionion that that if you honestly have
nothing to say, it's OK to just listen, learn, take notes, and feel free
to use any information you have gained when you need to use it.

     Until yesterday, I was a (should I even say the word) "lurker" for
3 months, when I felt the need to respond to the network concerning
something about which I had very strong feelings.  I stated my opinion,
and to tell you the truth, I am no better an internet participant or
educator than I was the day before.

     I have always benefited greatly from listening to the network
converssations of others, and using any appropriate suggestions in order
to serve my students more effectively.  And isn't that really a major
goal of the LM_NET?  Listening, learning and applying are certainly
worthwhile types of participation, even for a listserv/discussion group.

     I am hoping that the true purpose of "Unlurking Day" is to give
users a chance to test out their as yet unused "reply" or "send"
functions of their communications packages, or to help users to get over
their fear of talking to so many people by using one communication.
However, up to this point, these goals have not been stated in any
"Unlurking Day" invitations.

    Instead the message I've been getting, especially through the use of
the label "lurker" is that by not posting a message, I have been using
the network badly, and that I am less than a welcome user of the LM_NET.

    And even if the term "lurker" is a common internet label, as
educators, we should know that the use of such labels and name-calling is
hardly an effective motivator.  Why not stop using this term altogether on
the LM_NET?  And how about changing the name of our September 13th
activity to "First Message Day" or "Try-A-Reply" Day.  These are more to
the point.

     In closing, you don't have to post a message to be an effective
user/participant of the LM_NET.  Thanks for listening.

     Feel free to respond, BUT ONLY IF YOU WANT TO.......

                                                Bob
Bob Hallett                                *     Voice:410-887-0719
Educational Media Generalist               *     Fax:410-922-9912
Church Lane Elementary Technology School   *  "I'm just a singer in a
3820 Fernside Rd., Randallstown, MD 21133  *    rock 'n roll band!"

LM_NET Archive Home