        There are advantages and disadvantages to each of the suggestions
that have been made about learning the names of the members of President
Clinton's Cabinet.

        There is a lot to say for talking directly to a librarian.  If
the number of reference questions is being logged, you might be helping
save a colleague's job. (That's true at least in parts of California!).
On the other hand, you are taking the time that could be used by another
caller who doesn't have Internet access.

        By searching gopherspace by VERONICA, I found a list of members of
the Administration (President, First Lady, V-P, Cabinet, and lots more)
with addresses, phones, and fax numbers in several places.  The list is in
the Library of Congress MARVEL, in "Government" on UC Santa Cruz's
Infoslug, and elsewhere.  The problem is that the list was dated February,
1994, and several Cabinet positions have changed since then. (Can you
imagine the Library of Congress carrying outdated information?!!).

        It's fun to surf the Internet, but doing so teaches us all to
look at what we find with a skeptic's eye toward the accuracy of what we
(and our students) see.

                                                        - Mel

--
Mel Roseman                             aa104@lafn.org (Los Angeles Free-Net)