R>    And even if the term "lurker" is a common internet label, as
 >educators, we should know that the use of such labels and name-calling is
 >hardly an effective motivator.  Why not stop using this term altogether on
 >the LM_NET?  And how about changing the name of our September 13th

Interesting perspective, Bob.  I personally don't see "lurker" as a
derogatory term.  I participate actively in about five listservs, and
lurk on three others.  I learn from all eight.

I suppose the purpose of such a day is that in order for the Internet to
be different from other forms of communication (tv, radio, newspapers,
journals, etc) it must be two way communication.  If I wanted to know
only what the experts think, I stick to professional journals.  If I
want to talk back to them and explore their views and those of my
colleagues, I use the 'net.  If nobody does that, then usefulness of the
'net is diminished.

Everyone has something to say from which others will learn.
Sometimes we just need a prod or two to encourage us.

--Jim

 * QMPro 1.01 41-1542 * Wookie: wecentwy wecwuted powiceman.
Views expressed by this individual are not necessarily
those of the Tulare County Office of Education