Dear Colleagues ------- I would be so pleased if you would take a few
minutes to send me a candid message about your automation experiences -
and what you might wish for today - were you to have the chance to begin
over.  Just for me, myself, as our district has a major Bond Issue
funding to apply to technology - and of course library systems are being
considered.

We are K-12, 5 schools, about 100,000 district collection, with the high
school collection of 25,000 vols.  I would like to have periodicals,
equipment, books, nonprint formats, etc. on the circulation system.
I must consider all modules:  circ, catalog, inventory, search, etc.
We are currently using a small local vendor.

There are many changes since some of us began eight or so years ago!
The replies are just for me and I hope that you will offer insight and
information in whatever detail you wish.

I will be very appreciative inasmuch as there is no time for me to
research each I know about, myself.  (Winnebago, Follette, Mandarin,
Dynix, etc.)

1.  Are you networked?
        your library?
        your school?
        your entire district?

2.  Is your experience MAC or DOS/Windows?
        which would you prefer?
        do you know anyone running with a Macintosh system?

3.  If you could begin again, what system would you choose for K-12 schools?

4.  I hear about DYNIX from Texas as a nice product.
        what are it strong features?
        what would you change if you could?

5.  Is there any system/software that you would avoid at all costs?
        for what reasons?

6.  What are the advantages/disadvantages/cautions about being part of
        the district IBM AS 400 rather than a stand-alone program?

7.  Have you ever converted/upgraded from one system to another?
        did your data convert adequately?
        what are the clues to avoid new entry - all over again?
                or great amounts of editing?

8.  Any comments about costs?  - especially if our current system is just
        fine (considering its age)

9.  What about issues of support - if a district has no technician for
        DOS/WINDOWS/MAC?

Any additional comments of any sort?  What have I overlooked?

 Thank you, sincerely,
 margaret
 mmccormi@services.dese.state.mo.us

LM_NET Archive Home