>ON Thu, 8 Sep 1994 16:28:19 CST
> Brian Russell <brirusse@CLN.ETC.BC.CA> Writes
>Subject: TWO CD'S ON ONE COMPUTER

>Dear Netters,

>Pardon my ignorance, but is it possible to put an internal CD-ROM drive into
>a computer that already has an external CD_ROM drive hooked up to it?

>I know we could go the tower route, but I'm trying to run TOM full-text
>while still waiting for final decisions on our schoolwide network.

>If this is absolutely impossible, I need to know so I can lobby for early
>purchase of a tower.

>Thanks for any input.
>Brian Russell

Sure Brian, Should be no problem. You didn't say what kind of drive or
interface your using. CD-ROM's use SCSI or a Propriatary Card of their
own  to drive the CD-ROM. I am assuming that yours is of the less expensive
units with a propriatary card. Check the documentation on your current card
to see what interupt it is using, then get another drive that can be set
to a diffrent interupt. It is ususally easier when you have two of the
same drive so check what you have to see if you can get an internal
version. The only hard part is making sure you have a free interupt that
matches one of the available ones of the card. Remember to add the additional
new address and assignments to the config.sys and autoexec.bat.

Don Shields
Mammoth Unified School Dist.
Network Consultant
0006514431@mcimail.com