Michelle:
I believe the Canadian method produces excellent practitioners---I did a
workshop at the Canadian Library Assn this spring and found the
participants to be savvy people.  This is not an either/or situation.
What I AM suggesting, however, is that there is a different twist if the
teacher becomes a librarian without any library school training.  I
believe that the librarian's job is to train teachers to teach library
skills as information literacy.  This is the most powerful method of
infusing the curriculum with research.

Debbie Abilock              "It is important that students bring a certain
The Nueva School            ragamuffin barefoot irreverence to their studies;
Hillsborough, CA            they are not here to worship what is known, but
debbie@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us         to question it."  (Jacob Bronowski)

On Sun, 18 Sep 1994, Michelle Larose wrote:

> Dear Debbie,
>       Just read your reply to a Mr. Huntingdon(sp??).  I can't recall
> having read his original letter, however I would like to point out the
> various and varied roles of librarians, or teacher-librarians, as we are
> called in Canada.
>       You are quite right in stating that classroom teachers and library
> teachers have different jobs and responsibilities.  However, here, the
> teacher-librarian is less a librarian and more a teacher. That is, we must
> not only have the same teaching qualifications as classroom teachers, we
> must also have at least 2 years classroom experience, then the equivalent of a
> year's training in librarianship.
>       When I was going through the faculty of Education, I wondered why
> it was so essential that I have classroom experiencewhen all I wanted to
> do was be in a library.  Let me tell you that it has been an invaluable
> experience.  Now I understand their point of view (though I can't say that
> they understand mine all the time).
>       I spend less time doing reference work than I do teaching research
> skills.  I suppose you could say that is reference, but my emphasis is not
> on accessing the information, but on knowing what to do with it, and using
> it properly, and understanding it, sythesizing and reporting.
>
> Hope this offers a different point of view, while still agreeing,
> Cheers,
> Michelle Larose-Kuzenko
> Sun Valley Elementary
> Winnipeg, Manitoba