Remember that we are in the information access business; and that TV is
THE most important access to  information in the lives of our students.
Notice that I didn't say that it SHOULD be, only that it is.    Rather
than turning it off, how about a week focusing on media literacy;
teaching kids how to actively learn from the programs on TV; rather than
passively just watch what's on.    Didn't I read somewhere that the TV
turn-off's actually resulted in kids watching MORE TV after it's through.

In the same line is a "Turn off the computer week".   My rambling point
is that TV will be around forever.   We can bribe or threaten kids and
parents into turning of off; but it will come back on, and without
instruction, it will be the same mind-numbing and brain-dead breaded
french-fried M and M's.

I welcome all forms of information access.

Gail Dickinson
Union-Endicott Central School District
Endicott, NY 13760              "a wild patience has taken me
                                    this far"
                                        --Adrienne Rich (Integrity)

On Wed, 29 Mar 1995, Shelly Senator wrote:

> I just received an announcement from NCTE (Natl Council of Tchrs of English)
> about TV Turn-Off Week, April 24-30, 1995.  I have not seen any talk about it
> on the"net" and I was hoping that it could receive some support.  It is a
> worthy cause.  According to the letter, "...participants in the first annual
> National TV-Turnoff Week will engage in a broad range of substitute
> activities that foster greater social, physical, academic, and creative
> development.  There is a packet that can be sent for in order to organize
> your own local turnoff.  Contact Elizabeth Barrett at TV-Free America 1322
> 18th St NW, Suite 300 Washington, DC 20036; tel 202.887.0436, e-mail:
> TVFA@essential .org. or FAX: 202.887.0438.  They will help you get started
> for a $5 donation and send you an organizer's kit.   How about reading for
> "Count on Reading" during this week?  Sounds like an excellent campaign.
> ShellyBell@AOL.com.

LM_NET Archive Home