I personally saw the program on Friday and did not see this as Librarian
bashing at all.  In many ways, Oprah is right.  There are still a lot of
"bun librarians" out there.  I have had dealings with some
along the way.  Like the one in San Angelo, TX who would not
let my second grader (at that time) check out chapter books
because there were too many "wonderful" Easy books to read.
My daughter had already been reading chapter books (Sweet Valley
Twins, etc.) for some time.  This did not happen years and years
ago, but in 1992.  By the way, as you may have guessed, this lady
fit Oprah's description to a T.

I say, unless you saw yourself in Oprah's comment, disregard it and help
change our image by the way you think and present yourself.  And if, by
chance,  you fit Oprah's description and age, then it's time to retire to that
library at Sunset Lodge.

Oprah is always open to new subjects, how about a panel of librarians
(non-bun types) for her show, to let America know what librarians are
really doing these days.  At the end of her show, she tells how to
reach her.

Beth Ross
MLS student
University of North Texas
Denton, TX

On Mon, 3 Apr 1995, Barbara Gaugel wrote:

>      School Librarians' image suffered a blow on Friday's Oprah
> show(3/31/95). When a guest related her difficulty in finding a school
> librarian position after obtaining her Library Science degree, Oprah
> responded with, "That's no surprise. Remember your school librarian? She
> was there 75 years before you got there." So, that would make us all at
> least 97 years old!
>
> Barbara Conte Gaugel
> Syracuse City School District
> Syracuse, New York