Recently there was some discussion about a challenge to The Giver.  As
luck would have it, that book will be coming up at our next Instructional
Materials Committee for approval as supplementary curriculum materials
that can be purchased in more than seven copies,etc. I am the elementary
Library rep. on the committee. I have two copies of the book on my
shelves, have read the book, have an opinion, but also
have concerns about the book if it lands in "unfriendly" hands.  I would
appreciate hearing from anyone who has had a challenge and on what
grounds,or who has an opinion Pro/Con about the book so that I might take
this information to the Committee.  We are seeing growth in or area of
groups who would like materials removed from our shelves.  I believe that
having all
the information we can get available, just in case, can never hurt us.  I
know that I have materials in my Library that some parents might not want
their students to read, but my reply to them is that I choose for ALL
students.  If a parent chooses not to have their child read something,
that is their choice, and they are, after all, the ultimate censor for
ONLY their child.  They have no right to determine what the neighbor kid
reads.  TIA for any information I can get.
Celia S.Newton                  Censhorship reflects a society's lack of
Frank Love Elementary                   confidence in itself.
ferret28@u.washington.edu

LM_NET Archive Home