I teach a graded library science class in addition to my regular library
aides.  We cover cutters each year.  It is a massive pain. The LS students
always comment on the (to them) needless difficulty of dealing with or
generating cutters.  In a large collection I can see the advantage, but in
a smaller collection (mine is close to 18,000) the first three letters
work just fine and are _FAR_ less confusing to the kids.  The only place
we have much problem with duplicate call # for different authors is in
fiction.

 You sound as though you have some rather strong economic reasons
for dropping cutters as well.  IMHO, I would drop them.  The small cost in
time to make new labels seems to me to be more than balanced by the
savings in cost for imported records and the lack of needing to edit MARC
records you purchase now and in the future.

Mark Williams
Colton High School Library
mwillia@cello.gina.calstate.edu
"I never do anything on impulse.  Warp speed is MUCH faster."

LM_NET Archive Home