Newsgroups: schl.sig.lmnet
From: cjmacalp@llwcny.ll.pbs.org (Jean Macalpine)
Subject: library activities for primary grade levels - flexible or fixed
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 1995 19:43:04 GMT

I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions for library activities for
primary grade level students.  I have approximately 600 students grades
kindergarten through third.  I have always had them on fixed library times,
but that may change next year.  I do research when the teachers request it
and tie in necessary research and location skills then.  I do some author
studies, I teach Caldicott authors and works to third graders; I teach
basics such as alphabetical order, numerical order, guide words, etc., but I
feel that I am getting dusty, and some people have the idea that all I do is
"read to the kids".  Actually I do about half and half, but when second
graders are not into research on a grand scale, it is hard to know what else
to do with them, and all of us know the value of sharing a book during a
story hour.  Please pass any ideas, attitudes, encouragement, etc. along.
Thank you, Jean MacAlpine, Elementary librarian, Clinton Elementary School,
Clinton, New York 13323
--

LM_NET Archive Home