Hi!
I have been lurking here for a while as I am not a School Librarian but a
Librarian in a University that has a Curriculum Resources Center for our
students training to be teachers. (Although the issues discussed here are
often quite relevant to mine). I am interested to find out from anyone
who lends out kits to students what there procedures are for missing
items of kits.  I need to know what you do if the patron insists the part
was there when they returned it or that it was never there in the first
place.  Also do people have a general fine, eg. $50 or do you consider the
cost of the item etc.  Please respond to me directly as I don't know how
relevant this is to the list.
Thanks
Heather Cooper
Curriculum Resources Centre Librarian