>Date:         Wed, 2 Aug 1995 15:43:27 -0400
>Sender: School Library Media & Network Communications
>              <LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>
>From: Kslmc@AOL.COM
>Subject:      ELEM:  Book exchange
>To: Multiple recipients of list LM_NET <LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>
HiKay,
I am a k-3 librarian in my district. My name is Kim Tison.I am posting this
to the entire listserv to see if any others out there have opinions re open
library vs rigidly scheduled classes.  <ktison@cybertours.com>

It was always a completely unmanageable free-for all no matter which
strategies I used, with students competing for limited resources and turns
at the one computer station.  Frustration ran rampant.  I had parent
volunteers checking out books while I tried to help 22-25 kids at once.
Not to mention the rush of squeezing in a skills lesson -- all in a half
hour period once a week.  I am not automated yet either, unfortunately.
I visited another school district on a professional day.  It was a school
with similar demographics and I observed how they operated under the
concept of open library/flexible scheduling.  It took a couple of years of
gradually introducing this, and finally a majority of the faculty voted for
the open library method.  It has made all the difference in the world to
both the children and myself. They are no longer rushed in and out, and I
am able to spend quality one-on-one time with them.
When kids complete class work, they have the option of visiting the library
at any time of the school day for 20 minutes to half and hour.  No less
than that.  It is up to the individual teacher to give the kids a pass [no
more than four from a class at once]
The flow of the school day is reflected in which students are in the
library at certain times of the day.  Many of them visit every day.  Thus
the library has become an integral part of the day instead of a once weekly
special babysitting service.
The children relax and experience all grade levels at once.  They get to
know each other and younger ones model their behavior on the
"upperclasschildren."  Behavior problems have ceased to exist because I
simply send an errant student back to his or her class e class is still in
their classroom during library time.
My job is a joy now.  I teach skills on an individual point-of-need basis.
I still have a few adult volunteers, but do not need them on a large scale,
as the children flow in and out in manageable numbers.  Hope this helps.

Kay wrote:
>Once again I'm here begging for tips on how to do book exchange.  I am in a
>4-6 grade school with about 600 kids;  33 or less per class.  I'm looking for
>ideas on how to best work kids checking out books.  I am not automated yet so
>it is still a process of signing a card and leaving it somewhere in the
>library.  I have tried having check out in the first 15 minutes and the last
>15 minutes.  I have somewhat tried having students go at various times (i.e.,
>table by table).  Nothing has worked great.  What have you found to work best
>for you?  By the way, these are pretty rambunctious kids on the whole.  TIA!
>
>Kay Bowes  (kslmc@aol.com)
>Stubbs Elementary School
>Wilmington, DE

LM_NET Archive Home