On Thu, 3 Aug 1995 Dunrobins@AOL.COM wrote:

> I understand the theoretical basis for flexible scheduling, but still have a
> question.  How do you know you are reaching all the students in your school?
>  If you simply send "behavior problems" back to their classroom, how do you
> reach those children?  Even with a fixed schedule, I have many students who
> come to exchange books on a daily basis.  I can't help wondering if your
> workflow is easier because you are no longer  really working with *all* of
> your students.

Hi!  I read the original message (forgot from whom) about changing from
fixed scheduling to flexible scheduling, and I would like to respond to
the comment above.  When I was in middle school, probably the *worst*
punishment was to be banned from the library!  Consequently, students
behaved because they wanted to come.  I would guess that the younger the
student, the more they *want* to be there!  Yes, even with flexible
scheduling I worked with ALL of the students -- but some more than others.

At high school level, I do not find that type of punishment *quite* as
effective, but it does work.  The only thing I've noticed with high
schoolers is that they go back to their teachers and say, "She wouldn't
let us stay, and all we wanted to do was READ!"  (Of COURSE they did ... !
;-)  )

Betty
bhamilt@tenet.edu

LM_NET Archive Home