Dear LM-Netters,
   The request from Hawaii for good suggestions for books for
reluctant readers reminded me that my reluctant readers
are mostly guys at the Senior High level and I have been
meaning to ask if there are any sure bet ideas for books you
are certain guys will like.  It worries me that sometimes we
only have one chance to  get it right.  Suggest the wrong book
or one that is boring and they don't come back.  Over the years
I have gathered a group of books that have been successful.
My suggestions are:
   Fallen Angels by Walter Dean Myers - a dynamite Vietnam
War story that allows no grace or glory to any war.
   Anything by Chris Crutcher but of all of his books, my
guys vote for Running Loose first.  I have had tired English
teachers stop in amazement to see some very unenthusiastic
young men reading Chris Crutcher in the library.
   Robert Parker  writes at about a 5th grade reading level.
He is a great favorite in my school and I introduce them with
Early Autumn, a personal favorite and a title that says a lot
about becoming a man.  I don't tell them that, of course.
   The first few pages of Yeager by General Yeager grab any
reader and hook them right away.  I find myself searching for
extra copies at book sales so I will be sure to have a copy on
the shelf when I need to recommend something quickly.
   When the Legends Die by Hal Borland, Deathwatch by White
Call of the Wild by Jack London for their classic.  I have
also lucked out because our new and very respected principal
loves Dick Francis and I can sell those titles by that mere
mention.  Male reading role models certainly help.
   Any other sure bet reading suggestions for reluctant males?
I will post a hit for everyone as soon as possible.
Sandy Guest, District Librarian     voice: 603-763-5615
Sunapee Schools                            s_guest@mentor.unh.edu
Sunapee, N.H. 03782                       sguest@igc.apc.org