I requested information about K12 media centers being open to the public.
Thank you to everyone who replied.  Here goes to everyone who requested
the information:

The public may use our K-12 libraries; however, only the District Media
Library will be open extra hours.  On our computer system we have given
the public a lower priority than students, staff, admin., and board
members.  This affects circulation and assures that our K-12 community
will receive priority on reserves, etc.  You know, libraries are really
more alike than they are different.
Val Morehouse

This use of school library media centers is very "in" right now and I'd
like to be prepared when it comes up for discussion.
Pat Rosemary

You need two MLS librarians and several clerks along with some students to
shelve books, etc...!  Get the book called Information Power for staff and
other needs
Sandy in Florida

Will the public be able to check out materials?  How will you ID them?  How
will you protect materials for student use from being checked out by public
patrons?  Augh!  Seems overwhelming to me.
Jamie Boston

Perhaps a public library would be your best source.
(sorry, I didn't get the name-jl)

Do contact the Office of library Development and Services (once with the
now defunct Department of Ed.  I don't know where you find this now.  I
know Bill Asp works there (612/296-2821).  They provided a lot of
information when our city was thinking of opening our hs library to the
public.  Lisa Donalson at Cromwell and Rosemarie Loose of Pipestone may
also help (They wrote an article for Minnesota Media a few years back on
joint school public libraries.   Rosemarie's office number is 507/825-5861.

Our city resoundly voted down the idea of a joint/school public and has
developed a small public library downtown... We are still wondering if
evening hours wouldn't be nice... We have a lot of technology that just
sits there at night.

The lack of a professional is the problem.  As a profession we really have
to address this issue.
Jane Prestebak

This kind of library is becoming more common in Alaska, as our small bush
communities try to deal with decreasing budgets.  As the new school
coordinator for the state library, I really should know more about the
problems, etc.
Della Matthis

Be sure your facility has easy outside access for "after hours" public use
without getting into the rest of the building.

We don't have a formal program like you will, but we do provide services to
the public.  If they have a student in our building, we check materials out
on the student's card.  If they don't, then they must use materials in the
library.  Since we aren't open at night or weekends, staffing is only
during our regular school hours (including before & after school).

Perhaps you could come to some cooperative arrangement with your county
library system?  In Texas, only public and academic libraries are eligible
for interlibrary loan - and that would be a very good service to be able to
provide your public.

And don't forget about rest room access for the public hours.  May be
difficult to arrange and at the same time restrict access to the
rest of your building.
Melissa Davis

I open my library to the public also (for the same reason), although I am
not nearly as ambitious as you are!

1. We have a VERY close working relationship with the public library in our
community.  They are very much aware that we are offering services to
patrons they might miss, so they offer us a lot of support.  For example,
this summer they are providing us with free materials to run the summer
reading incentive program.  Our school ditrict and the public library have
a close working relationship in general and it is very beneficial.  The
catalyst for this is our wonderful public library Director of Childrens
Library Services, Molly Krukewitt.  You can contact her at
mizmolly@tenet.edu.  She is a forerunner in the field of public/school
library cooperation.

2. I do establish limits on who can use the school library: family members
of students (current, future, or former).  Each patron must complete a
brief form for our files with name, address, etc. so we have a way of
contacting them, if needed.

I would be VERY cautious about allowing the "public" in general to use the
library.  I would worry about compromising the safety of the students.
Once you are "public", how will you keep out undesirable types? It's a
tricky question.  I really wanted to open my library to the public in
general until someone pointed out this concern.

3. I also establish limits for materials.  Right now, each patron can check
out 3 books at a time.  That includes babies, parents, etc., so many
families leave with a good stack of books.  I think next year I will be
more flexible with this.  I have a limited number of AV which parents can
check out, too.  Each item counts.  I currently received a grant to
purchase educational materials (puzzles, math manipulatives, etc.)
specifically for parents to check out to use with their children.  And I an
developing a pre-school collection (board books, etc.) for the little ones.

4.I use sign up sheets for the computers, but "first come first served" for
the other (less in demand) AV stations such as listening stations, VCR, etc.

5. Reference books are not checked out to the public; only to our own
students (overnight only), but anyone is welcome to use them on site.  If
needed, I make photo copies for them.

6. I keep the LMC open 30 min before school and about 45 min after school
(unless I have a meeting...often!)  I don't get too much use during these
times. but at least its available.  I do have some faithful latchkey
children that I must literally force out most nights!!!  They are no
problem, and I'ms so glad they have a safe place to be.  (I do require a
parent permission slip for the regulars, so I know they know where their
child is.)
Jeanne Clark
Julie Lepisto
Librarian/Media Director
0362lfsh@informns.k12.mn.us

"Only the truly ignorant think they know everything."

LM_NET Archive Home