I would like to second the suggestion for doing a collection survey for
books published before certain copyright dates....especially using the
Information Power guidelines for the 000, 300-389, 500, and 900-919's.  We
had to do this to justify a huge purchase order for a magnet school and it
was most effective.  The superintendent (new to our state--from a wealthy
northern district) was appalled that a collection had been allowed to
become so stagnant (Average age of the collection--1968) and approved the
p.o. immediately.  The worst thing--besides the average age--was that in
those four major areas there were less than 10 books total with a
copyright in the 90's.  Not any more!
        We just took the old shelf list and made tick marks in the decade
the books were published with special attention in the 500's to books
published pre moon landing.  One of my library professors now uses the
graph we produced to share with his classes.
Penny McAllister//Central Elementary School// Tuscaloosa, AL

LM_NET Archive Home