After planning and researching for  eight or nine months, our school is
offering four multiage classes beginning next week.  The configuration of
these classes is different that we had hoped for because of parent
requests and numbers of students.  The other l7 of our classes will be
straight grade levels.  We will have
                l        1-2-3
                1       2-3-4
                1       3-4
                1       4-5
I have posted this to the multiage listserv, but thought that some of you
as librarians might have had experience with this kind of grouping.  I
have 30 minutes each week with classes in a locked schedule, but the rest
of the week is very flexible.  The flexible part should be no problem,
but what about the 30 minute part?  Traditionally my essential learnings
emphasize literature, research skills and (as the kids say) "findin'
stuff in the liberry". I have thought of doing centers, but is that hard
to do in the time frame?  My educational assistant is unfortunately not
real comfortable with small groups unless I individually teach her first,
and time is usually a problem with that...but it's possible.

I'm looking forward to doing something different this fall and will look
forward to hearing from your expertise.

Barbara Sanford
Shiloh Hills Elementary
Spokane, Washington