I've tried to send this information to those who requested it, but heard
back from some of you that it was all garbled.  I did get enough requests
that it seemed to warrant posting a hit to all-- I've included just the info
on barcoding and circulating magazines, since that's what everyone seemed to
be looking for (the other part of the question was how long to keep back
issues...).  The only way I can figure out to get this out so it's readable
is to break it into parts, so here's "part 1".  Your responses gave me a lot
of good ideas-- hope it's helpful to all!  Sorry it took so long to get this
to those of you who've been waiting.

Shayne Russell (srussell@omni.voicenet.com)

Regarding check out of magazines, we developed a system strictly to
keep track by using the computer and not to do any statistics.  The
system does not include any specific info such as magazine title, etc.
We put barcodes on stiff cards and simply stick a post-it note on the
card with the title of the magazine and date.  It lets us circulate by
computer and do overdues that way.  The only problems we have had are
because our student aides sometimes forget the date, etc.  But it is a
lot better than doing it by hand.
***
My experience is that it is well worth the time to barcode the magazines
- I process each title with the current year (ex. Cat Fancy - 95) then
each month I just add a copy putting the specific month under issue or
volume the same way you would add an extra volume to encyclopedia set -
it doesn't take much time each month and is easy enough to teach students
how to do it.
***
When I ran an elementary library, I did allow cirulation of
periodicals.  I had a sheet of barcodes for each title.  There were
twelve barcodes labeled with the month only.  When a student decided to
check out the January issue of Odyssey, I would wand the January barcode
on the Odyssey sheet.  When the magazine was returned I wanded the
barcode to check that issue back in.  At the end of the SY I had
statistics on each month for all my titles.  I had two copies of Sports
Illustrated for Kids and simply labelled one with an A and the other with
a B and made two separate barcode sheets, one for copy A and the other
for copy B.

As a new magazine came in I removed the copy for the past year---the new
January issue replacing the old January issue.  Then I kept the old
issues in a separate place for teacher check out.  By the way, I found that
the cheapest Crytal Covers were the best $ for $
protection for circulating magazines.  Occasionally a 4th grader would
try to steal one for his own personal magazines, but I usually got them
back!
***
 We barcode magazines as they go out.  I have some preprinted
barcodes at the desk.  As a magazine goes out we apply the barcode and
indicate the number on the request slip.  We file the slip until we have
time to enter the info into the data base.  This has worked well for us.
We are a 9-12 high school.
***
Another option is to use plastic magazine protector covers and barcode
them. Each time you replace the magazine in the cover you reuse the barcode
for the new magazine.
***
For those who choose to barcode and circulate all magazines, try using
used barcodes from magazines you are tossing out.  This "recycling"
method works well for me.  I just have a student aide cut off the
barcodes.  Then I save them in a little box so I can tape them onto the
new magazines.  Of course, the information must be changed in the computer.
***
I prefer ziplock bags to envelopes for circulating magazines, vertical file
materials, etc.  I put a barcode on the ziplock (also a school address
stamp and a date due slip) and check the magazine out as a temporary item
(just typing in title and date) To get a history, just pick a day, say the
15th of each month, and run a
list of temporary items currently in circulation.  That should give a
pretty good idea of which magazines are circulating and which are not.
***
~~~~~~We barcode all of our magazines for check out. As far as renewing, we
just know which ones the kids are checking out {you will too--don't worry};
we don't run a report or anything.
***

LM_NET Archive Home