If that isn't a joke, is surely is a poorly chosen topic.  Whoever came
up with it should be taken to task, and the topic changed.  IMHO!

Pat Wamsley (patw1@muskox.alaska.edu)  |{ancient Chinese blessing/curse}
wk: Colony HS Library (907) 746-9538   |
hm: 3700 Spruce Top Circle             | "May you live
    Wasilla, AK 99654 (907) 376-8854   |         in interesting times!"

On Fri, 1 Dec 1995 PINCKARDD@TEN-NASH.TEN.K12.TN.US wrote:

> Dear Friends:
>
> Of the five responses I've received thus far, four want to know what ethnic
> cleansing is.  One response was, "Is this a joke?  Ethnic Cleansing is a
> large scale organized genocide."
>
> We are as confused as you are.  "Ethnic Cleansing in U.S. Schools" is one
> of the topics for discussion at our Model U.N. Summit.
>
> The only articles I can find on ethnic cleansing have to do with Bosnia or
> Yugoslavia or the Holocaust.
>
> Our best guess is that "they" are referring to Proposition 187 in
> California which deals with providing services (health care, education,
> welfare, etc.) to illegal aliens.  My understanding is that this
> proposition is now in appeal to the California State Appeals Court, but
> that it is also being placed on referendums in nine other states.  That's
> the closest we can come to saying there is any sort of ethnic cleansing in
> U.S. schools.
>
> There was something on one of the tv news magazine shows a couple of weeks
> ago about a school or school system in Georgia where black students were
> most often placed in "B" classes and mostly whites were placed in "A"
> classes.  I personally think that could be considered discrimination, but
> not ethnic cleansing.
>
> Comments?  Suggestions?  Articles to read?
>
> Thanks,
> Debbie Pinckard
>

> Debbie Pinckard, Librarian          423/238-9003
> Ooltewah High School                423/238-5871  Fax
> 6123 Mountain View Road             423/238-7204  Library
> Ooltewah, Tennessee  37363          PINCKARDD@TEN-NASH.TEN.K12.TN.US

LM_NET Archive Home