I realize I posted my target late Friday afternoon and it isn't even
Monday yet, but I've gotten so many wonderful, thoughtful responses
already (and don't have the capability of doing anything but tabulating
group.  Thank you to eveyone who responded so promptly (the first
response came less than 10 minutes after I posted my request!)

You have given me all kinds of good suggestions and I hope others will
find the list useful also (for any who might have missed the target, I
requested readalouds for grades 5-6).  And here is the list (pretty much
in order of reception):

The polar express (4)
Claude the dog
Cynthia Rylant's book of Christmas stories (5) (I'll be using these)
J.T.
A Christmas memory (Capote)
The gift of Christmas (Sturges)
Christmas visitor (Lussert)
Christmas miracle of Jonathan Toomey (Wojciechowski)
An Irish night before Christmas (Blazek)
Gift from St. Nicholas (Lachner)
It's Christmas (Prelutsky)
  (The previous six were suggested from reviews of new books)
A Christmas carol (Dickens) (2)
The Christmas tree (Theroux)
A Newbery Christmas (2)
David Shannon's new Christmas story (I didn't get the title)
The other wise man
Gift of the Magi (3)
The littlest shepherd (Boulware)
The small one (Tazewell)
Christmas chapters from Wilder's Little House books (2)
Jesus' Christmas party (Alan)
Legend of the Christmas Rose (Lagerlof)
Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus (Church)
Ruth Sawyer's Irish stories
Tree of cranes (Say ) (2)
Too many tamales (Soto) (2)
Christmas thief (Williams) from The wicked tricks of Til Uilenspiegel
(I'll be using this one too - I just got it from the public library, and
I love it)
Angels and other strangers (Paterson) (2)
A miserable merry Christmas (Steffens)
Elijah's angel (Rosen)
The little match girl
The Christmas alphabet book
Legend of the poinsettia (de Paola)
Herschel and the Hannukah goblins
Christmas sonata (Paulsen)
The homecoming (Hamner)
Best Christmas pageant ever
The year of the perfect Christmas tree (Houston)
Little Jim's gift (Houston)
The Christmas box (Evans)
Night tree (Bunting)
A certain small shepherd (Caudill)
Story of the holly and the ivy (illus. by Cooney)
a new book of Christmas stories by Leo Buscaglia
The bird's Christmas carol
Star mother's youngest child (Moeri)

Many of these were stories I know and just hadn't thought of.  Others are
unfamiliar, so I have lots of exciting new reading and searching to do.

Again my thanks.  I'm sure we'd all appreciate additional suggestions.

Sarah Giddings
sarahg@nando.net
St. Timothy's Middle/Hale High
Raleigh NC