Thanks to all who responded to my questions about the usefulness of term
papers in secondary schools.  Most of the responses were in favor of term
papers as a teaching tool.  Here is a summary of the responses I received:

Pat Dawe Head:  I don't research papers per se can be done by any but the
advanced upper level students.

Sarah Peckham:  I think Humanities are losing out in the '90's because they
are hanging on to the sacred canons of "tradition" and all core knowledge
expectations are changing rapidly.

Linda Brake:  Term papers are a big part of the Sophomore English program
and for the most part, the papers are a success.

Sally N:  I think this is terribly important for all students.  I work with
students as individually as possible.

Psigmond:  I like the idea of a pathfinder.  If an educator wants the
students to think, find, question, respond, synthesize, evaluate a topic of
the student's interest, then I think students are more empowered.

Betty Copeland:  Term papers are useful to all students.  Research and
writing skills are things that carry over into the "real world".

Betty Laliberte:  A major stumblink block to avoid (with multimedia
presentations) is that form takes precendent over content.

Eddie van Rossum Daum:  In our middle school every grade does a report as a
oart of teaching in the term paper process.

George Anne Draper: 9th graders collect information from 5 different sources
and have a bib.  The paper gets progressively harder as a student moves to
the following grade.  The teachers in our school check sources, at least one
in every paper.

Sillil:  I think that term papers are a vital skill for all students.

Donna B. Carroll:  We require a 3 page paper in the 9th grade, notetaking in
10th, and a full 6 page paper in the 12th.  The thoroughly researched and
clearly written word outshine any multimedia project.

Ellen Jay:  I suggest many short paragraph or page length products rather
that one big term paper.  Kids go through the process many times.

Becky Martinez:  Yes, term papers should be required for the college bound.
Are you going to lower standards because it is hard work?

Marge Lucas:  I question their value.  I think the pathfinder approach is
good.  Students should have the experience of writing.

Lee Gordon:  A current project that has caught on is the brochure.  Topic
can be a person, a time period, a planet, an endangered species, a sport,
etc.  Front cover of the brochure must be attention grabbing.  Pictures may
be photocopied or drawn and colored.  Back page must be a bibliography in
correct form.

Christine Stang:  Many of our teachers are letting students gather
information or prepare posters and include references.

Barbara Bicle:  The 4th graders write a 2 1/2 page report on an Oregon
animal.  The 5th grade research a historical character.  The 6th grade do a
Canada or South America topic.  The 7th and 8th grade are doing science and
society issues.

Kay Crandell:  Juniors do a "career paper."  Seniors do a paper with a topic
of their choice.  Honors seniors do a literary paper.  Classes come in and
do a pathfinder type activity first called "topic attack".

Jan Weeks:  Freshmen must write 4 paragraphs on one topic using 3 sources.
Sophomores write a 3 source, 2 page report complete with bibliography on a
famous person.  They present it in class.  Juniors write a 7-10 page
research paper and college bound seniors write a 20 page, 8 source research
paper.

Joan Estes:  A pathfinder was developed in 8th grade for Communicative Arts.
Each student selects a topic and must locate information using a variety of
sources.  When the information is gathered, each student uses hyperstudio to
record the information.

Linda VerNooy:  Even after 25 years, I still remember some of the details on
how to write one.

Kay Goss, Director Library Media Services
Mansfield High School
P. O. Box 107
Mansfield, Mo.  65704   Home of Laura Ingalls Wilder
fup001@mail.connect.more.net

LM_NET Archive Home