(This is a bit long.  For the short version, skip to the _____ below.)

Well, our Guidelines for Student Use of the Internet are nearly done - and
in under two pages, too!  A question has come up as we consider how best to
approach student web pages (which we want to encourage, at least when done
in conjunction with classwork).

Our guidelines now state that, as far as web publishing goes:

     all student work must be signed with that student's full name;

                  and that

      students appearing in pictures, movies, or sound clips may be
      identified or referenced only by their initials (ex., JQP for John Q.
      Public).

And the committee finds itself of two minds.  One being that it is
important for students to take full credit and responsibility for their
work, hence the "full name" part.  And the second being that if we are only
going to identify students who appear in graphic or sound clips by
initials, how can we then turn about and ask them to put their full names
on their pages?  (We are all agreed that student names ought not be
attached to any sounds or pictures in which they might appear.)

So, I said I would ask the LM_Nuts (who coined that one?  I think it's
great!) what they are doing in this regard.

Soooooo,
_____

If your students have published on the web, do their full names appear to
indicate that it is their work?  Tell me, and I will post a hit if there is
much interest.
_____

[Aside:  As I go over this in my mind, again, trying to be coherent for you
all, I start to think that we are on the thin edge of paranoia about this
stuff.  If Martin McFly does a boffo web page about future studies, and we
link it to our high school web page, is it rational for us to worry that
some predator will say "Aha!  This Martin must be a high school student -
how can I get to him?"?  Some days I think we're paranoid, and some days I
think we're prudent.  Today, however, I just plain don't know!]

Thanking you, as always,

Shelley

Shelley Lochhead, Librarian      ____/|               603-746-4167  x230
Hopkinton High School            \ o.O|               603-746-5109 (FAX)
297 Park Avenue                   =(_)=        S_Lochhead@mentor.unh.edu
Contoocook, NH   03229              U             S_Lochhead@conknet.com