Oh Wise LM_NETTERS: I am writing this long paper on community networks and
ways to improve them, and of course since service to children, new readers
and new Americans is important, one of my concerns is controlling
vocabulary so the interfaces are understood by most folks using the system.

I want to say that there are devices or at least resources for testing
vocabulary.  Automated devices would be ideal, like a "spell-checker" that
pointed out words above a certain reading level, but the paper is due
tomorrow evening and I'm not picky.  :-)  Do you know what I mean?  I mean
if a computer-person or someone who didn't work with kids on a routine
basis were designing a home page, and needed to check his or her vocabulary
to make sure kids could read it (say, 4th-graders on up), what would he or
she do?  (I'm afraid "ask LM_NET" probably won't suffice as an answer, even
if it works for me.)

Email answers  to me (please, NO REQUESTS FOR INFORMATION, I WILL POST A
SUMMARY) at kschneid@umich.edu and I cross my heart and promise to post a
summary to the list by the end of the week.  It's finals, so if I don't
immediately say "thanks" know that by the end of this week I will give you
a proper acknowledgement.

Karen G. Schneider <kschneid@umich.edu>

LM_NET Archive Home