From:   MASTER::M_ROUSSI     "MARY ANN (M_ROUSSI@FOMA.WSC.MASS.EDU)" 28-NOV-1995
08:08:29.96
To:     M_ROUSSI
CC:
Subj:   SURVEY.DEC

              FIVE MINUTES OF YOUR TIME WILL YIELD A
                          WEALTH OF INFORMATION

            HOW SUCCESSFUL ARE KEYPAL PROJECTS?
        As educators, we assimilate new technologies but have little time to
reflect on our experiences.  While many schools conduct email exchanges, the
questions remains, what level of success do teachers feel they achieve?  The
following survey, with your patience and participation, is an attempt to define
teacher views on Keypal projects.
       PLEASE RESPOND ASAP and I will summarize ASAP!  TIA

MaryAnn Roussi                         email:  SAFKAMA@aol.com
Library Assistant II
Westfield State College
Westfield, MA 01086

-----Place an X <UNDER> the most appropriate response------

My grade:
K   -  4                      5   -  8                9   -  12

The ratio of computers to students in my classroom is:
0(Lab)     1/24       1/12        1/6        1/4      1/3       1/2      1/1

My level of confidence using computers is:
poor      adequate      acceptable      good      excellent

The condition of the computer hardware that my students use when emailing:
poor      adequate      acceptable      good      excellent

The level of technical support in my school is:
poor      adequate      acceptable      good      excellent

At my school, the computer skill level of the other teachers is:
poor      adequate      acceptable      good      excellent

The number of keypal experiences I have had in my class is:
        1           2           3           4        5 or more

My keypal project(s) are:
--Ideas I generate--     --In answer to email invite--      --Both--

The average number of weeks spent for each keypal project:
   less than 4          4           8          12         16        over 16

Communication between myself, and the partner teachers has been:
poor      adequate      acceptable      good      excellent

The balance between the energy spent, and the educational value of keypal
projects is:
poor      adequate      acceptable      good      excellent

-------Rate these aspects of keypal exchanges from 1 to 7-------
      (1= most important purpose, 7= least important purpose)

My purpose for keypal project(s):

             improve classes writing skills

             understand a different culture

             find common ground between cultures

             think critically about discoveries made

             compile or compare data on a specific topic

             learn emailing skills

             none of the above (specify)

------ Put an X <Next To> the format that you found most successful----

The format of my keypal project(s):

          open ended (informal, individual connections)

          project based (sponsored by an organization)

          worldwide sampling of data for a specific topic

          specific exchange of data between two locations

-------Rate these aspects of keypal exchanges from 1 to 5-------
      (1= having the most influence, 5= having least influence)

           hardware

           technical staff support

           time allocation

           communication with partner teacher