Kim:

Learning to use the Internet for me was my choice not a job requirement.
I want to provide as many resources to my students and faculty as I can.
I fell that I need to know how to use something before turning loose
faculty or students. We have 6 other librarians in our district and none
of them have learned how to use the Internet yet.

Jackie Porter
Norman Junior High School
Crossett Arkansas
Jporter@secoop.sesc.k12.ar.us

On Tue, 5 Dec 1995, Kim Vawter wrote:

> Quoting from "Web of Lies" editorial Amiga Computing, US version issue 5
> "There is no one to the censor the free expression of opinion on the the
> Web, but there's also no-one to weed out the sites where the content's so
> weak it doesn't merit the expense of a visit on your phone bill." I
> believe that it is still our job not to censor but to SELECT the best
> information for our students as we have always done in the past
> irregardless of the media-type.
>
> On Mon, 20 Nov 1995, Betty Louise Copeland wrote:
>
> > I have wondered about ths matter also.  I am not required to search the
> > Internet, although of course I will do searches for those things that we
> > do not have access to in our small library.  However, I hope the
> > mentality does not get to the level of "since we're not classroom
> > teachers", and of course all we do is "read all the books in the
> > library", whether it will be assumed that we can do the research for our
> > students, much like calling up the local reference desk at a university
> > library for particular answers, and much like we use this listserve
> > for--can someone else find it for us?
> >
> > Betty Copeland
> > St. Michael's Academy
> > Austin, Texas
> > bcope@tenet.edu
> >

> > On Fri, 17 Nov 1995, Deb OBrien wrote:
> >
> > > I just read an article in American Libraries, Nov.1995 by Carla List.
> > > Though written from the public library perspective, it made me wonder.
> > > Ms. List stated "Many librarians are being asked to learn to use the Net
> > > skillfully without a concommitant reduction of other responsibilities."
> > > As a high school librarian, I use the internet regularly as another
> > > library resource. However, I am not required to do so.  Are there
> > > school librarians out there for whom this is a job requirement?
> > >  How does anyone feel about this issue?

LM_NET Archive Home