We have set up online resource stations in our library.  They are on an
ethernet network accessing resources loaded on a Novell server or on a CD-ROM
tower attatched to the server.  On the Mac side we have SIRS Researcher and one
other resource and on the DOS side we have Newsbank, SIRS Government Reporter,
Health Index and a couple of others.  The Mac side is secured with At Ease and
on the DOS side we are using Saber menus.

The computers are functioning beautifully as resource stations.  Resources are
being accessed reliably, speed is quick, everything is fine.  It's the printing
that's the problem.

Each computer is connected to a HP Laserjet 5p.  We are using PowerPrint.  The
Mac side prints to the printer fine, the DOS side is incredibly slow or not at
all.  From what I can tell, once the command is given to print it has to go
from the DOS side to the Mac side and then print.  It is at least a 45 second
to 1 minute period of time from the time the print command is given to the time
when the first sheet emerges from the printer--when it prints.

Each computer has 12 MB of RAM on the Mac side and 4 MB on the DOS side.  (It
is straight DOS.  We are not using Windows.)  When it appears from the DOS side
that printing is going very slowly or may not occur, I switch to the Mac side
to see if I can see the PC print spooler window behind the At Ease panel.
Sometimes, not always I will get the message "Not enough memory to open PC
clipboardÉ, etc." And then the message "Not enough memory to open PC print
spoolerÉ etc."  These computers have 12 MB of RAM on the Mac side, virtual
memory turned on (they won't print at all without it), have increased the
memory requirements for the PC PrintSpooler.

Is anyone else using LC 630's for this purpose?  Are you printing successfully?
Is anyone trying to print anything from the DOS side?  Successfully?  I'd
appreciate any insights you can give.  TIA

Judy Voran
Technology Coordinator
Desert Mountain High School
Scottsdale, AZ