Dear group,

There were so many responses seeking the same info as my original post I
thought I'd just post this HIT.

The post sought information on a national internet access service named
Interramp.  I had received a free 7 day trial and was (still am) looking
for an alternative to TENET (Texas Educational/-tors? Network).  I had
become spoiled by the SLIP access provided by U-Texas.

Two folks were familiar with the company.  One spoke favorably, one spoke
of their slow modems.  Myself, I NEVER EVEN GOT ONLINE during the week.
I've had plenty of experience, using and troubleshooting.  The brochure
coming with the disks was very spotty concerning relevant information
in logical sequences.  Their online helpdesk only responded with messages
saying my email had been received.  That is, until I sent the message
saying that I was not happy and had been asked to give my opinions of
their service.  That post got an immediate reply telling me what I needed
to do, none of which was mentioned in the brochure.  Further, it was past
the 7 days and they made no offer to extend.  The only good thing was
your trial *is* up after 7 days and you are not automatically billed as
some of the other providers attempt after your trial.  Oh, yeah--their
daytime phone wait is the longest I've ever ...

All the rest said to go with local providers.

To all the TENET folks: yes TENET is upgrading to SLIP but the timeline
is slow, extremely selective, and if the modems don't get any faster
benefits will be doubtful.

Lastly, to the person asking how to get LM_NET through subscription and
not merely through TENET, I lost your post!! (Or, did I reply and
delete!?)  Sorry.  If you'll reply I promise to *try* to do better.

Many thanks to all for this group,

Tim

Tim Lance / Librarian
Cook Elementary / Austin ISD (Texas)